Historic Chancellor’s Room, The Kreisky Room
The Chancellor’s Office was also redesigned by Oswald Haerdtl after World War II. In keeping with contemporary taste, the walls are covered in dark wood panels. The Austrian coat of arms and those of the provinces are executed as wood inlays above the desk. Leopold Figl (1902–1965) was the first chancellor at this time to occupy this modern and distinguished stately office.
His views on the room are not known. It is known that Bruno Kreisky (1911–1990) did not like the dark room in the slightest, although between 1970 and 1983 he spent most of his time there. He contemptuously referred to it as the "cigar box". The association was not so far-fetched, given that Haerdtl had also designed cigarette packets for the state tobacco monopoly.